Monday 22 July 2013

Early Marriage in Nigeria

After engaging my self in self education with regards to early marriage, I now realize that a lot of countries and societies allow marriages under 15 yrs with a caveat, "parental consent". This means that for such marriage to be legal and recognized, the couple must present their birth certificates and their parents must be their for identification or a legal guardian in case their parents are deceased. This is the practice in Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado and Connecticut all in the US; Australia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Tibet and many parts of South America. I didn't mention Arab countries cause Islam encourages early child marriage. Objectively, I appeal that Nigerians begin to view this matter with unbias and instead hammer more on the legality of ensuring that such under aged brides are enrolled in school by their so called husbands. Don't get me wrong I am in no way supporting Sen. Yerima and his colleagues! It is painful but truth ought to be told especially when u aware of it. Is it not surprising that the international community are yet to comment on the proposed law?

No comments:

Post a Comment